Palestine DWI Lawyer
Charges of driving while intoxicated (DWI) or under the influence (DUI) could cause you anxiety and stress – especially without the aid of a seasoned Palestine DWI lawyer. Texas imposes severe consequences on DWI/DUI convictions. These consequences often adversely impact your future. At John Eastland, Attorney at Law, P.C. we can inform you of your legal options and fight tenaciously to safeguard your rights.
Exclusively focusing on DWI and DUI, our highly qualified Palestine DWI lawyer has comprehensive knowledge and experience regarding the harsh DUI/DWI laws and the Texas criminal justice system. He can use that knowledge to form your best possible defense that are personalized to your needs.
Every case is important. It is crucial to know and thoroughly comprehend your story, the facts leading to your arrest and the subsequent events, and your life and legal goals. We work hard to make sure you can meet those goals.
Don’t let the criminal justice system frustrate or intimidate you, or let it adversely affect your future. With John Eastland at your side, your case will be meticulously investigated and your best defenses will be thoroughly developed. John Eastland will aggressively litigate your case to up your odds for a reduction or complete avoidance of the consequences associated with your charge or conviction.
DWI Versus DUI
The driver’s age is the main difference between DWI and DUI in Texas. Under Texas law, you could face DWI charges if:
- You are 21 years of age or older, and
- Your blood or breath alcohol concentration is 0.08%, or
- You are impaired by drugs,
- Unless you are a commercial driver, in which case, you are legally intoxicated if your BAC is 0.04% or higher.
However, you could face DWI charges if:
- You are under 21 years of age and
- You have any detectable amount of drugs or alcohol in your system (this is known as the zero tolerance policy)
Notably, if your BAC is 0.8% or higher, you could face DWI charges even though you are under the age of 21.
DWI/DUI Conviction Consequences
The penalties you could be facing with a DWI or DUI conviction depends on a variety of factors, such as:
- Your age
- BAC level (if you consumed alcohol)
- Type of license
- Any prior DWI/DUI offenses
- Any injuries or fatalities
- Amount of property damage, if any
- If one of your passengers is a child who is younger than 15 years of age
Generally, first and second DUI/DWI convictions that do not involve personal injuries or property damages are misdemeanors and subsequent convictions are felonies. Penalties for DWI/DUI convictions may include:
- Annual surcharge to retain your driver’s license
- Revocation or suspension of driving privileges
- Alcohol Education Program (DUI conviction)
- DWI intervention or education programs (DWI conviction)
- Possible ignition interlock device
However, the consequences for a DWI/DUI conviction do not cease here. Convictions can severely impact both your personal and your professional life. This includes the loss of:
- Professional license or opportunity to obtain a professional license
- Employment opportunities
- Personal relationships
- Rights for child visitation or custody
A skilled and effective Palestine DWI lawyer may reduce or dismiss your DUI/DWI charges and/or punishment by objecting to the:
- Circumstances of your arrest and/or subsequent events, such as an improper stop or a violation of your Miranda Rights
- Administration or results of the alcohol blood test, breathalyzer test, and/or standardized field sobriety test (SFST)
Disputing Your Alcohol Blood and Breathalyzer Tests Results
By properly challenging your alcohol blood test or breathalyzer, known as chemical tests, a Palestine DWI lawyer could successfully have the results excluded from evidence. For example, improper administration of your alcohol blood test could discredit the results. Likewise, improper administration or inaccurate calibration of the breathalyzer could also disqualify the results.
Palestine DWI lawyer John Eastland remains well informed of the “science” behind and involved with the chemical tests. He grasps that there are factors that are influential and, thereby, make the chemical test results unreliable.
Disputing Your Standardized Field Sobriety Tests Results
As a certified SFST practitioner, John Eastland, has received training to administer several SFST tests, such as:
- Horizontal Gaze Nystagmus
- One Leg Stand
- Walk and Turn
He can effectively dispute your DWI/DUI charge by utilizing his knowledge and experience of the factors that could affect the accuracy of these “balance tests.”
Contact an Experienced Palestine DWI Lawyer
Immediately after your arrest on suspicion of driving while intoxicated or under the influence, it is crucial to begin to develop your best possible defenses. Representing clients throughout Texas, a Palestine DWI lawyer with John Eastland, Attorney at Law, P.C., can aid in crafting a rock solid and strong defense to aggressively battle your charges. Send an email or call us at 903-471-3223 today.