Probation and Community Service
DWI Probation is the alternative to a jail sentence which would have been handed out by the jury or judge upon a guilty verdict after trial.
General DWI Probation Requirements:
- X days in jail probated for Y months
- X fine with Y amount probated, maybe
- X hours of community service…a requirement to pick up trash on the side of the road, or time volunteering at the hospital, Camp Tyler, or, whatever.
- attend a DWI education class, at your cost
- don’t drink any alcohol and don’t go where it’s served, which knocks out most restaurants, except Luby’s, Traditions, McDonalds, etc.
- attend an alcohol education class or Alcoholic’s Anonymous twice or thrice a week
- report to a probation officer once a month and pay a $70 fee each time
- take a urinalysis test each time, or upon request
- don’t associate with disreputable folks, (a good thing)
- maybe suspend your driver’s license
- maybe require a breath machine in your car
- maybe need to get an Occupational Driver’s License to get to work
- unlike other offenses, DWI probation cannot be ‘early terminated’!
IS DWI PROBATION REALLY A GOOD ALTERNATIVE?